World Boss event feedback

General discussions about Days of Evil.

World Boss event feedback

Postby Zarathos » Fri 2. Dec 2016, 18:51

Hello, everyone! Sorry for starting this thread so late (weeks since the end of the event), I just didn't have time to do it earlier.

I'll put my own 2 cents regarding the event and hopefully others will join in.

I'll start ab ovo:

PHASE ONE: I've liked this phase in general, I can even say that is was the most exciting phase of all since we did not know what was going to happen and the progression during all five steps was pretty smooth, although 24k (since I'm level 24) WGS hit our guild quite hard considering our goals. Still, the outcome was worth it. Pretty good in general both requirement- and reward-wise, the reduction time was very convenient, although I am not sure about the 15% enhancement part, since I did not understand the mechanic behind the damage counter.

PHASE TWO: This phase was the biggest disappointment for me. First of all, the lack of loot: this was the biggest trouble for many people, since regular dungeon and heroic dungeon raiding granted quite a significant income, which is crucial for both production and regular personal development. And I am talking both gold and items here, which we've seen none during those 2 phases of the WB event.
At the same time the biggest letdown for me personally was the missed opportunity of introducing a new loot table of random items. DoE is much like gambling and this phase could really flare up the impulse to gamble, to spend more souls for the reduction of time given that the loot was worth at least a third of the souls' price. Plus, it could've been a nice touch, to grant a chance (even if minor) of getting a soul/precious gem or two per minion attack. This would also add to the gamble. And it would make sense gameplay-wise: "You have managed to kill another Haokah's minion. On his forehead you find a gem that was the source of this minion's insanity – Haokah's tear – which is now rendered useless. But still as precious as a gem can be." Or: "You have killed another Haokah's minion thus freeing its soul. This souls vows to serve you forever. With a wicked grin you accept its vow." Etc., etc., etc.
I do realise that this might've been too much reward-wise, but without it the event felt a bit flavourless. Plus, the reward could be scaled depending on levels or at least the gold reward if any. And this event was advertised as an event that would need all players to participate. At the same time, the end reward for most players, especially the lowbies, who need both gold and items even more than old geezers do, was pretty insignificant. Good loot drops on Phases 2 and 3 might've made the WB event much more attractive to low-level players, especially newbies.

Another thing was the damage calculation. The formula was unclear for me. I can understand the moment of randomness but it seemed to me that damage done depended more on the level, not the actual amount of points. I might be wrong but for a moment I was losing in points-per-run to some of the player that were higher in me leve-wise but weaker in points, judging by arena results. I've managed to overcome them due to my persistence (OCD, actually) and spending souls from time to time. I know that this might have been intended but it wasn't too clear. Although I find that the amount of attacks being almost as important as the total damage done is a good thing. Give lowbie players something to look up to.
I would also recommend using greater number to add to the "epicness" so to say. E.g., instead of killing just one minion per run, we could kill a 100 (and the total amount scaled accordingly) since most of us have a strong personal army of 64 regular and 10+ epic units. Right now going to a fight to kill just one minion seemed absurd. Judging by the fact that both the army and the mech lost their health/morale/fuel, they were all engaged. It's a rather decorative element but I believe it would add to the event.

PHASE THREE: Same as above. It all seemed a bit too long but that's due to financial problems and boredom due to lack of loot gamble, I suppose. Fix the loot part and people will be shedding tears after the event is over.

PHASE FOUR: I loved the rewards. I know that some people found it 'meh' but I've decided to invest quite a bit of time and souls in it and it was worth it. My first legendary was summoned (EN server's first Banuq, actually) and I'm more than half-way to summoning Baradeth. So it's worth it anyways but I truly believe something needs to be done with the loot in phases 2 and 3.

P.S.: I might've forgotten to describe something, I will add it later if I remember anything. And a big thank you to developers for doing this. It was a great event despite all the server-crash trouble we had. And the compensation was also generous. I've played quite a few game where admins treated their players in a most disdainful way. I am really happy that the staff actually cares for its audience.

Please add your feedback to this thread if you still haven't in other threads. I really hope this will help devs to improve this event!
Zarathos

Re: World Boss event feedback

Postby st0rm » Sun 4. Dec 2016, 13:34

Nicely done, Zarathos!

I agree with what you said, especially with phases 2 and 3. Some sort of loot would have been welcome to help players healing their armies. This was the first event of its kind and I am sure we'll see improvements for the next ones. :)

For phase one, everyone did what they were suppose to do, namely produce goods and send those ships to help reduce the battle duration during phases 2 and 3. Although the normal duration was not clear from the very beginning, one could easily guess it was 24 hrs. In my opinion, this phase was to the advantage of guild members, since lower levels could benefit from the improved production of higher level players in the guild (donations, discount trade fees, a.s.o.).

Phases 2 and 3 lacked the loot and there was no clear duration. As far as I understood it depended on the whole server acting as a team. However, the low level players faced a much tougher situation than higher level ones with the shortage of gold and fuel needed in copious amounts before each attack. I am seriously doubting lower levels will participate in future WB events unless there is some sort of loot, even if this meant only gold.

Phase 4 was balanced, from my point of view. I did not expect receiving many glory points since that would have lead to a large number of legendary units, high level equipment and even epic units and would defeat the long term purpose of the game.

Given that this was the first event of its kind, my overall impression is a good one with room for improvements for future events. It would be nice to know the frequency of these events in advance (once a year, twice a year?) and the approximate time of launching so that everyone will stand a fair chance for nice rewards at the end. :)

Cheers,
st0rm
st0rm

Postby Uiqua » Wed 7. Dec 2016, 08:48

Hello everyone,

thank you very much for your detailled feedback :-) We will have this in mind when we are planning the next world event.

Best regards

Uiqua
Uiqua
Administrator

Postby st0rm » Wed 23. Aug 2017, 14:05

Uiqua wrote:... next world event.

Best regards

Uiqua

Any news as to when is it going to be? :D
st0rm